Disclaimer: I received this product for free from the sponsor of the Moms Meet program, May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet blogger, I agreed to use this product and post my opinion on my blog. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC. I never review products I do not have 100% faith in and use on a regular basis.
Back when I was a kid, salad just wasn’t what it is today. It usually involved shredded iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, and maybe some cucumbers or avocado. I wasn’t too impressed but honestly, I didn’t know the difference. Nevertheless, I still fostered a love of vegetables and salads in particular.
When the opportunity came to participate in the Fresh Express 30 Day Salad Swap with Moms Meet, I thought, “Now this is a campaign I can get behind (and shovel into my mouth)!” The premise is simple – swap one meal a day for a salad. To make this not only foolproof but quick and easy for us busy moms, there is – you guessed it! – an app for that, in addition to the Salad Swap website. You can choose from a list of foods that you’re craving – such as burritos, burgers, and chili, and the app will give you the salad alternative for that meal. I’ve been buying Fresh Express salads for quite some time now, and have never been disappointed by them, and I feel confident that you won’t, either.
Because I’m from the southwest, and because I’m fueled by burritos, I opted to swap my beloved burrito for a Southwestern Chicken Salad. I cheated a bit and bought pre-cooked organic chicken breast strips, but this would be great with grilled chicken as well.
FYI, every good southwestern recipe starts with fresh cilantro
I tested this recipe out on my BFF, who also happens to be my handyman. He’s happy to receive payment for services in the form of home cooked meals. There wasn’t a speck of food left on his plate, so I’m calling this a success! Continue reading after the recipe for links to coupons for Fresh Express salads!
- 1 package Fresh Express American
- 2 cups (8 oz) grilled chicken strips
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Sour cream (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- 1/4 cup diced roasted green chile
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing
- Coat raw chicken in marinade 1-2 hours prior to grilling or baking.
- In a large bowl, mix the salad, corn, cilantro, tomatoes, lime juice, and cheese. Top each serving with chicken and black pepper and drizzle with dressing. Add a scoop of sour cream and salsa for an extra southwestern kick.
*Coupons valid in the US only.